For most radesmen, the right tools are more than just a convenience – they’re a necessity.
And when it comes to power, versatility, and convenience, nothing quite matches the prowess of a cordless impact wrench.
But here’s the rub: with a market flooded with options, how do you sift through the noise to find the best cordless impact wrench for your money?
But worry not, because in this article, I’m plunging into the depths of the cordless impact wrench universe. I’ll be meticulously dissecting their features, unpacking their benefits, and pitting them against each other. All of this is to provide you with a carefully curated list of the best ones in the market.
What’s a Cordless Impact Wrench Used For
Now, let’s take a moment to talk about what a cordless impact wrench is and why you might need one.
Well, a cordless impact wrench is a power tool that delivers high torque output with minimal exertion by the user that can loosen or tighten those stubborn nuts and bolts in a snap.
But where does the “cordless” part come in?
Well, unlike their corded counterparts, cordless impact wrenches run on rechargeable batteries. This means you’re not tethered to an outlet and can take your tool wherever the job demands.
Whether you’re up on a ladder or under a car, a cordless impact wrench has got your back.
Now, you might be thinking, “That’s great, but what can I use it for?” The answer is: a lot.
These tools are commonly used in automotive repair, heavy equipment maintenance, product assembly, construction projects, and any other instance where a high torque output is needed.
I mean, it’s a powerful tool that can save you time, reduce physical strain, and make your work more efficient, which can be life-changing for a blue collar worker.
So, if you’re tired of wrestling with stubborn bolts, or if you just want to work smarter, not harder, a cordless impact wrench might be just the tool you need.
The Best Cordless Impact Wrench for the Money
Here is the list of the best cordless impact wrenches I found with a reasonable price tag:
- CRAFTSMAN V20 Cordless Impact Wrench
- RYOBI ONE+ 18V 1/2-inch Cordless Impact Wrench
- DEWALT DCF911B 20V MAX* 1/2″ Cordless Impact Wrench
- CRAFTSMAN V20 3/8-inch Cordless Impact Wrench
- Milwaukee 2663-20 M18 1/2″ Cordless Impact Wrench
- Ryobi P261K 18V 1/2-inch Cordless Impact Wrench
- BOSCH GDX18V-1600B12 18V 1/4-inch Cordless Impact Wrench
- Milwaukee M18 FUEL 3/8″ Cordless Impact Wrench
- Makita XWT12Z 18V LXT 3/8-inch Cordless Impact Wrench
- CRAFTSMAN V20 RP 1/2-inch Cordless Impact Wrench
1. CRAFTSMAN V20 Cordless Impact Wrench
- Torque: 275 ft-lbs of max fastening torque
- Anvil size: 1/2 inch hog ring anvil
- Design: Compatible with the VERSATRACK Wall Organization System
This CRAFTSMAN V20 cordless impact wrench has a brushless motor that gives you up to 26% more runtime, which is a godsend when you’re in the middle of a job and don’t want to be running back and forth to the charger.
Besides its low price, the torque on this thing is no joke either.
We’re talking up to 275 ft-lbs of max fastening torque. That’s enough to tackle most jobs you’ll throw at it, and then some.
One thing I really appreciate is the hog ring anvil. If you’ve ever fumbled around trying to change sockets, you’ll know why as it makes socket changes a breeze, which is a small thing that makes a big difference when you’re working.
Last but not least, it has 2 mode settings, which gives you a bit of versatility depending on what you’re working on. And let’s not forget the LED work light for those dimly lit spaces.
- Brushless Motor that provides up to 26% more runtime, meaning less time charging and more time working.
- Delivers up to 275 ft-lbs of max fastening torque, powerful enough for most jobs.
- Hog Ring Anvil that allows for easy socket changes, saving you time and frustration.
- 2 Mode settings that offer versatility for a variety of applications.
- LED Work Light to improve visibility in low-light conditions.
- Needs oil
2. RYOBI ONE+ 18V 1/2-inch Cordless Impact Wrench
- Torque: 375 ft-lbs of fastening torque
- Anvil size: 1/2-inches
- Design: 3-Position side handle that provides maximum control
The first thing I noticed with this RYOBI impact wrench was the spindle lock.
This feature allows for quick and easy accessory changes. No more fumbling around with tools and wasting precious time. It’s as easy as click, swap, and go.
But what really sets this impact wrench apart is its power.
It delivers 375 ft-lbs of fastening torque and up to 3100 impacts per minute. That’s enough to tackle any job, big or small.
Moreover, the 3-position side handle is another feature that caught my attention as it offers maximum control, which is crucial when you’re dealing with stubborn bolts and nuts. You can adjust it to your liking and get the perfect grip every time.
And let’s not forget about the die-cast metal gear case which is built to last. I mean, I’ve dropped it a couple of times, and it’s still going strong.
- Spindle Lock that allows for quick and easy accessory changes, saving you time and effort.
- 3-Position side handle that provides maximum control, ensuring precision in every job.
- Die-Cast metal gear case for added durability, making the tool long-lasting and reliable.
- Delivers 375 ft-lbs of fastening torque and up to 3100 impacts per minute, capable of handling any job.
- Not for heavy duty tasks
3. DEWALT DCF911B 20V MAX* 1/2″ Cordless Impact Wrench
- Torque: 250 ft-lbs of max tightening torque and 400 ft-lbs of max breakaway torque
- Anvil size: 1/2-inches
- Design: Compact design to work in confined spaces
Boasting a maximum tightening torque of up to 250 ft-lbs and a maximum breakaway torque of 400 ft-lbs, this tool is well-equipped to manage any lug nut or bolt
Despite its powerful performance, this tool is compact enough to access hard-to-reach workspaces, making it a versatile tool for various applications, from assembling furniture to repairing machinery.
The hog ring anvil is a feature that enhances the tool’s efficiency as it allows for rapid and secure socket changes, so you can switch between tasks without wasting time.
The onboard LED ring is a thoughtful addition that enhances the tool’s usability. It provides illumination in dark work areas, enhancing visibility and safety.
One thing to note is that this particular tool does not come with a battery.
This means you’ll need to purchase one separately if you don’t already have a compatible DEWALT battery. However, this can be a plus if you already own other DEWALT tools, as their batteries are interchangeable.
- With up to 250 ft-lbs of max tightening torque and 400 ft-lbs of max breakaway torque, this tool is capable of handling any lug nut or bolt
- Compact design of this impact wrench allows it to access hard-to-reach workspaces
- The hog ring anvil allows for rapid and secure socket changes
- Onboard LED ring provides illumination in dark work areas
- Only has the one speed
4. CRAFTSMAN V20 3/8-inch Cordless Impact Wrench
- Torque: 165 ft-lbs max torque
- Anvil size: 3/8-inches
- Design: Built-In LED Worklight to improve visibility
This cheap 3/8-inch impact wrench is a beast that delivers a maximum torque of 165 ft-lbs. It’s designed for speed and efficiency, making it a valuable addition to any toolbox.
What sets this tool apart is its hog ring anvil, which makes changing sockets a breeze.
Moreover, the variable speed trigger gives you added control, allowing you to adjust the speed to suit the task at hand so you can save battery life and prevent overtorquing.
But it’s not just about power and speed.
This tool also has a built-in LED worklight, improving visibility in low-light conditions. Whether you’re working under a car or in a dimly lit garage, you’ll be able to see exactly what you’re doing.
- With a maximum torque of 165 ft-lbs, this tool can handle large fasteners with ease.
- The hog ring anvil allows for fast socket changes, saving lots of time
- Variable speed trigger that gives added control, allowing you to adjust the speed to suit the task at hand.
- Built-In LED Worklight to improve visibility in low-light conditions
- No cons over here
5. Milwaukee 2663-20 M18 1/2″ Cordless Impact Wrench
- Torque: 450 ft-lbs of max tightening torque
- Anvil size: 1/2-inches
- Design: Friction ring design with ergonomic handle
The moment I picked it up, I could feel the power humming in my hands. It’s like holding a finely tuned sports car, ready to unleash its power at the press of a trigger. And unleash it did.
This tool boasts a high torque output (450 ft-lbs of max tightening torque) that’s perfect for those heavy-duty applications and smash those stubborn bolts and fasteners.
The friction ring design is a nice touch as it makes socket changes quick and easy, saving me precious time on the job.
And let’s not forget the comfort as it comes with an ergonomic handle and balanced design make it a pleasure to use, even for extended periods.
But what really sets this tool apart is its durability. It’s built like a tank, ready to withstand the rigors of any job site. I’ve dropped it, knocked it, and used it in all sorts of conditions, and it’s still going strong.
- With up to 450 ft-lbs of max tightening torque, this tool can handle a wide range of fastening tasks
- Friction ring design that allows for quick and convenient socket changes
- Ergonomic handle that ensures comfort during use, reducing fatigue and increasing productivity.
- Built to last, ensuring you get your money’s worth.
- Trigger is finicky
6. Ryobi P261K 18V 1/2-inch Cordless Impact Wrench
This cheap 18V cordless tool, with its 3-speed settings, is a versatile addition to any toolbox.
It’s not just about power, though it has plenty of that with its impressive 300 ft-lbs of torque. It’s about the control and adaptability it offers, allowing you to tackle a wide array of tasks with precision and ease.
The impact mechanism is a standout feature, capable of delivering up to 3200 impacts per minute, meaning it’s designed to handle everything from the most stubborn bolts to the most delicate fasteners.
The no-load speed of 0-2900 RPM further enhances its versatility as it allows you to adjust the speed to match the task at hand, ensuring you always have the right amount of power (which is key to save on battery)
One of the most convenient features of this tool is the included 4 Ah lithium-ion battery. This high-capacity battery ensures that you have a reliable power source for extended periods, reducing the need for frequent recharging.
And, despite its robust performance, the Ryobi P261K is surprisingly compact. This makes it easy to handle, even in tight spaces, and reduces fatigue during prolonged use.
- The three-speed settings offer flexibility for a variety of tasks.
- The included 4 Ah lithium-ion battery ensures long-lasting power for continuous work.
- 300 ft-lbs of torque can tackle a broad range of fastening tasks.
- The tool’s ability to deliver up to 3200 impacts per minute enhances its efficiency.
- 0-2900 RPM speed range allows for precise control of torque.
- 4-bar illuminated charge indicator helps manage power usage effectively.
- The tool’s compact design makes it easy to handle, while the included bag facilitates easy storage and transport.
- No cons over here
7. BOSCH GDX18V-1600B12 18V 1/4-inch Cordless Impact Wrench
I gotta tell ya, this thing is a beast.
This driver is powered by an efficient 18-volt motor that delivers a max of 1600 in-lbs of torque. That’s enough to handle just about any job you throw at it.
And with up to 3600 impacts per minute and 2800 RPM, it’s not just powerful, it’s fast too.
It’s got a versatile 1/4 in quick-change hex shank and 1/2 in square drive, so you can use it with bits and sockets. No more messing around with socket adapters, it’s all in one place.
One of the things I love about this driver (besides its affordable price) is the hammer-and-anvil system which is designed for maximum impact energy, so you’re getting the most bang for your buck.
And the variable-speed trigger gives you control over the driving speed, so you can adjust it to the task at hand.
And let’s not forget about the LED light located on the base of the driver. It provides outstanding illumination, so you can see what you’re doing even in low-light conditions.
- With a 1/4 in quick-change hex shank and 1/2 in square drive, you can use this driver with bits and sockets. No need for socket adapters.
- The 18-volt motor delivers a max of 1600 in-lbs of torque, up to 3600 impacts per minute, and 2800 RPM. It’s powerful and fast.
- The hammer-and-anvil system is designed for maximum impact energy, giving you more power for your money.
- The variable-speed trigger lets you control the driving speed, so you can adjust it to the task at hand.
- The LED light on the base of the driver provides outstanding illumination, so you can see what you’re doing even in low-light conditions.
- It’s a bit bulky
8. Milwaukee M18 FUEL 3/8″ Cordless Impact Wrench
This tool is a recent addition to the M18 Milwaukee Fuel lineup, and it’s clear that a lot of thought has gone into its design: It’s compact, which means it’s not just easy to carry around, but it’s also a breeze to maneuver in those tight corners where larger tools struggle.
The brushless motor is a standout feature as it runs cooler, which means they’re less likely to overheat and damage the tool.
The tool’s color scheme is a classic red and black, which is not just about aesthetics. The bright red makes it easy to spot in a crowded toolbox or a cluttered work site.
The fixed square head style is another thoughtful feature as it allows for a secure attachment of sockets, reducing the risk of them slipping or coming loose.
- The tool’s compact size makes it ideal for working in tight spaces and easy to transport.
- Brushless motor runs cooler and lasts longer, providing excellent performance.
- Fixed square head style ensures secure attachment of sockets.
- No cons over here
9. Makita XWT12Z 18V LXT 3/8-inch Cordless Impact Wrench
This cheap compact impact wrench is part of Makita’s Subcompact series, a line that cleverly combines the nimbleness of a 12V tool with the endurance and compatibility of an 18V one.
This unique blend makes the XWT12Z an unparalleled choice for those who frequently find themselves working in confined spaces or tackling overhead tasks where maneuverability is key.
At the heart of the XWT12Z lies a Makita BL brushless motor, a marvel of engineering designed to provide up to 50% longer run time. This motor doesn’t just extend your work time; it also amplifies the power and speed of the tool, all while ensuring a longer lifespan for the tool itself.
The XWT12Z doesn’t just impress with its motor; it also offers variable two-speed control, with 0-1300/0-2400 RPM and 0-2000/0-3600 IPM. This flexibility allows you to tailor the tool’s speed to the task at hand, ensuring optimal performance and results every time.
And when it comes to torque, this compact tool can deliver up to 130 ft-lbs of max torque, making it a formidable contender for a wide range of fastening tasks.
- Makita BL brushless motor, which is engineered for up to 50% longer run time, increased power and speed, and longer tool life.
- Variable two-speed with 0-1300/0-2400 RPM and 0-2000/0-3600 IPM, allowing you to adjust the speed based on the task at hand.
- 130 ft-lbs of max torque, making it capable of handling a wide range of fastening tasks.
- Hog ring is a bit tricky
10. CRAFTSMAN V20 RP 1/2-inch Cordless Impact Wrench
- Torque: Max torque of 350 ft-lbs
- Anvil size: 1/2-inches
- Design: Ergonomic design with variable speed trigger
This is a cordless tool equipped with a hog ring anvil, simplifying the process of socket changes.
The affordable wrench has a max torque rating of 350 ft-lbs, providing the strength needed to remove large fasteners. It’s a powerful tool that can handle a variety of tasks.
The speed of this wrench is also impressive. With a maximum of 1,700 RPMs and a variable speed trigger, you have the ability to control the speed of your work.
Last but not least, the wrench comes with a 20V MAX 4Ah high capacity lithium battery, ensuring long-lasting power for extensive tasks. The package also includes a fast charger that can recharge the battery in 60 minutes or less, reducing downtime and keeping you productive.
- The cordless design eliminates the need for power outlets and reduces the risk of tripping over cords.
- Hog ring anvil that simplifies socket changes, saving you time and effort.
- With a max torque of 350 ft-lbs, this wrench can handle a wide range of fastening tasks.
- Variable speed trigger gives you control over the speed of your work.
- Built-in LED light enhances visibility in dark work areas.
- 20V MAX 4Ah battery provides long-lasting power for extensive tasks.
- Charger can recharge the battery in 60 minutes or less, reducing downtime.
- Needs oil change
The Best Affordable Cordless Impact Wrench Overall
DEWALT DCF911B 20V MAX* 1/2″ Cordless Impact Wrench
After reviewing and testing a variety of cordless impact wrenches, I’ve come to a conclusion: the DEWALT DCF911B cordless impact wrench stands out as the best cordless impact wrench for the money.
Why, you ask? Well, it’s simple.
This tool offers a perfect blend of power, performance, and price. It’s a tool that doesn’t compromise on quality, yet it doesn’t break the bank. It’s a tool that’s built to last, designed to perform, and priced to sell.
In my hands, the DEWALT DCF911B felt like a reliable partner, ready to tackle any task I threw at it. It’s a tool that I can confidently recommend to anyone in need of a high-quality cordless impact wrench.
You can click the button down below to read the full review.
Must Have Features of The Best Cordless Impact Wrench for The Money
Here are the most important features I believe an affordable cordless impact wrench should have:
Torque is the lifeblood of any cordless impact wrench. It’s the driving force that gives the tool its power to loosen and tighten bolts.
Without a solid level of torque, you’re essentially left with a tool that’s all show and no go.
A good cordless impact wrench should deliver at least 200 ft-lbs of torque. Anything less, and you might find yourself wrestling with stubborn bolts that refuse to budge.
Comfort is a key factor when you’re working with tools for extended periods.
An ergonomically designed impact wrench can make a significant difference in your work experience.
It should have a comfortable grip that fits well in your hand, balanced weight distribution to reduce strain on your wrist and arm, and controls that are easy to reach and operate.
Moreover, an ergonomic design can also improve your control over the tool, making your work more precise and efficient.
Adjustable Speed & Torque
The ability to adjust the speed and torque of your impact wrench is a game-changer as it gives you the flexibility to adapt to different tasks and materials, preventing over-tightening or under-tightening.
It’s like having multiple tools in one, and it’s a feature I wouldn’t want to do without.
For example, when working with delicate materials, you can lower the speed and torque to avoid causing damage. On the other hand, when dealing with stubborn bolts, you can crank up the power to get the job done.
Power tools and noise often go hand in hand, but that doesn’t mean they have to be ear-splitting.
A good cordless impact wrench should operate at a reasonable noise level.
And It’s not just about comfort, it’s about safety too as prolonged exposure to high noise levels can lead to hearing damage.
So, when choosing a cordless impact wrench, don’t forget to consider the noise level. A quieter tool can make your work environment more pleasant and protect your hearing in the long run.
Durability is a crucial factor to consider when investing in a cordless impact wrench.
I mean, you want a tool that’s built to last, capable of withstanding the rigors of heavy use, right?
Look for a tool with robust construction, a durable motor, and a battery that can stand up to repeated charging cycles.
A high-quality impact wrench should feel solid in your hand, with no loose or wobbly parts. It should also be able to withstand the occasional drop or knock without breaking.
After all, accidents happen, and your tool should be able to take a hit and keep on working.
Frequently Asked Questions
Now that we’ve delved deeper into the must-have features, let’s move on to some frequently asked questions about cordless impact wrenches.
Is a cordless impact wrench worth it?
Absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt.
I mean, a cordless impact wrench offers the convenience of portability, allowing you to work in places where a power outlet might not be readily available.
Plus, the absence of cords means you’re not going to be tripping over wires or limiting your movement. It’s a tool that offers freedom, and in my book, that’s always worth it.
Do you really need a high torque impact wrench?
Well, that depends on what you’re planning to do.
If you’re dealing with heavy-duty tasks like automotive repair or construction, then yes, a high torque impact wrench can be a lifesaver. It can make quick work of stubborn bolts and fasteners, saving you time and effort.
But if you’re just doing light DIY tasks around the house, a lower torque impact wrench or even a drill might suffice.
Is 320 Nm torque good for an impact wrench?
In the grand scheme of things, 320 Nm (or roughly 236 ft-lbs) of torque is pretty decent for a cordless impact wrench. It’s more than enough for most DIY tasks and can handle a fair bit of automotive work as well.
However, if you’re planning to work on larger vehicles like trucks or if you’re in the construction industry, you might want to consider a tool with higher torque.