When you’re looking for a new impact wrench, your choice of brand can significantly influence your success.
This choice can be the difference between a triumphant job well done and a story about the project that got away.
The thing is: It’s not just about the power, but also the durability, the battery life, and the ergonomic design that can make a world of difference in your work. So, one needs to make an in-depth investigation to successfully compare these two brands of impact wrenches.
So, let’s delve into the details and find out which brand – Dewalt or Milwaukee – offers the best impact wrench for your needs, at least in my view.
Understanding Impact Wrenches
Impact wrenches, also known as impact guns or torque guns, are designed to deliver a high level of torque with minimal effort from the user.
They work by storing energy in a rotating mass, then delivering it suddenly to the output shaft, creating a high-torque impact. This makes them perfect for jobs that require a lot of force, like loosening lug nuts or large bolts.
There are several types of impact wrenches, including corded, cordless, and pneumatic:
- Corded and cordless models are often used for general maintenance and construction
- While pneumatic models are typically found in automotive and industrial settings due to their higher power output and durability.
When choosing an impact wrench, it’s important to consider factors like torque output, speed, size, weight, and battery life (for cordless models), as we’ll discuss later in this article.
DeWalt Impact Wrenches
Now that we’ve got a solid understanding of impact wrenches, let’s dive into our first contender: Dewalt.
When it comes to Dewalt impact wrenches, they are a force to be reckoned with in the power tool industry.
Known for their robust performance and innovative features, here are some key aspects that make them stand out:
- High Torque: Some Dewalt impact wrenches deliver up to 1200 ft-lbs of max fastening torque and 1600 ft-lbs of max breakaway torque. This means you can tackle heavy-duty applications like large-sized pipe flanges, grooved couplings, wheel lugs, and concrete anchor bolt setting with ease.
- Precision Wrench Control: This feature helps prevent overtightening in forward and runoff in reverse, giving you more control over your work.
- Convenient Speed Settings: Some DeWalt impact wrenches come with the updated 4-mode push button switch, you can easily transition speeds when needed. This gives you the flexibility to adjust the power output to match the task at hand.
- BatteryGuard: This feature reduces wear and tear on the battery while you work, extending the lifespan of both the tool and the battery.
- LED Work Light: Dewalt impact wrenches come with an on-tool LED work light, allowing you to illuminate dark workspaces and work more efficiently.
Now, let’s shift our focus to a specific Dewalt product and see how it performs in the real world. Buckle up, because we’re about to dive into a product review.
DEWALT 20V MAX Cordless Impact Wrench
- Torque: 1030 ft-lbs of max fastening torque and 1400 ft-lbs of max breakaway torque
- Weight: about 7.2 pounds
- Type: Cordless
This Dewalt model is a cordless impact wrench that boasts a whopping 1030 ft-lbs of max fastening torque and 1400 ft-lbs of max breakaway torque to handle a wide variety of fastening applications, from construction to automotive repair.
One of the standout features of this tool is its 4-mode speed settings and variable speed trigger which gives you increased control in a variety of applications, allowing you to adjust the tool’s performance based on the task at hand.
But the features don’t stop there.
This Dewalt impact wrench is designed to help prevent overtightening and fastener runoff with its precision wrench control. This means you can work with confidence, knowing that you’re less likely to damage your materials or your tool.
Moreover, it comes with a battery guard, a shock-absorbing battery-to-tool connection that reduces wear and tear on the battery while you work, meaning you can work longer and more efficiently without worrying about your battery life.
Finally, this impact wrench comes with an on-tool LED work light, which can be incredibly helpful when working in low-light conditions.
Milwaukee Impact Wrenches
Milwaukee impact wrenches are renowned for their superior power-to-weight ratio and compact design, making them a top choice for professionals and DIY enthusiasts alike.
Here are some key features and benefits:
- Power to Weight Ratio: Milwaukee impact wrenches provide up to 1,500 ft-lbs of nut-busting torque while weighing in at a mere 7.1 lbs in average. This impressive power-to-weight ratio means you get the power you need without the extra weight that can cause fatigue.
- Compact Design: With one of the shortest length in its class, Milwaukee impact wrenches offer exceptional access in tight spaces. This means you can tackle those hard-to-reach bolts without needing to disassemble components.
- Superior Drive Control: Milwaukee’s 4-mode drive control offers greater precision with a range of preset RPM and IPM levels, selectable from a single button on the tool.
- LED Work Light: Like Dewalt, most Milwaukee impact wrenches also include an on-tool LED work light, providing better visibility in low-light conditions.
- REDLINK PLUS™ Intelligence: This feature ensures maximum performance and protects the tool against overloads, overheating, and over-discharge, enhancing the tool’s lifespan and reliability.
Now, let’s take a closer look at a specific Milwaukee product to see how it performs in the hands of users. Get ready for a product review that’s as robust as the tool itself.
Milwaukee 2767-20 M18 FUEL 1/2″ Impact Wrench
- Torque: 1,000 ft-lbs of fastening torque and 1400 ft-lbs of nut-busting torque
- Weight: About 6 pounds
- Type: Cordless
This Milwaukee model is a cordless impact wrench that delivers up to 1000 ft-lbs of fastening torque and 1400 ft-lbs of nut-busting torque. That’s a whole lot of power packed into a compact, 6-pound tool.
One of the standout features of this tool is its 4-mode drive control, which offers greater precision with a range of preset RPM and IPM levels, giving you the control you need for a variety of applications, from precision fastening to full-on nut busting.
It also comes with a friction ring, which makes socket changes quick and easy.
Plus, it’s powered by the M18 Fuel technology, which delivers longer run time, more power, and faster speeds than other models.
And let’s not forget about the LED work light, which provides better visibility in low-light conditions.
Dewalt vs Milwaukee Impact Wrenches
Let’s delve deeper into the comparison of these two powerhouses.
In the spirit of a balanced comparison, we’ve chosen the DEWALT 20V MAX XR and the Milwaukee 2767-20 M18 as the standard-bearers for their respective brands. These two models are evenly matched in terms of power, making them ideal candidates for a head-to-head showdown.
We’ll evaluate them on five key aspects: Torque output, Price, Battery, Durability, and Size & Weight.
The DEWALT 20V MAX XR impact wrench is a force to be reckoned with. It boasts a maximum fastening torque of 1030 ft-lbs and a breakaway torque of 1400 ft-lbs. This means it has the power to handle heavy-duty applications with ease. Whether you’re dealing with stubborn bolts or need to set concrete anchor bolts, this tool is up to the task. Its high torque output ensures that you can tackle even the most demanding jobs without breaking a sweat.
On the other hand, the Milwaukee 2767-20 M18 Fuel High Torque 1/2″ impact wrench is no slouch either. It delivers up to 1000 ft-lbs of fastening torque and 1400 ft-lbs of nut-busting torque. While it falls slightly short of the Dewalt in terms of fastening torque, it matches it in breakaway torque. This means it’s equally capable of loosening tight bolts and nuts.
It’s a close match, but Dewalt takes the lead in fastening torque.
When it comes to price, the Milwaukee 2767-20 M18 offers a more budget-friendly option. Priced at around $200, it provides a powerful performance without breaking the bank. It’s an excellent choice for those who need a reliable impact wrench but are working within a tight budget.
On the other hand, the DEWALT 20V MAX XR, priced at approximately $330, is a bit pricier. However, it’s important to remember that with Dewalt, you’re paying for a brand that’s known for its high-quality tools and excellent customer service.
If budget is a concern and you’re looking for a tool from a brand with a stellar reputation, Milwaukee might be the better choice as it’s got a lower price.
Both the DEWALT and Milwaukee impact wrenches are part of their respective 20V battery systems. This means they’re compatible with a wide range of tools from the same brand, offering versatility and convenience.
So, if you already own tools from either brand, you can easily swap batteries between them, saving you the cost of purchasing additional batteries.
The DEWALT model comes with a battery and charger, which adds to its value. The battery is part of Dewalt’s 20V MAX Powerstack line, known for its long lifespan and ability to deliver more power and work per charge.
The Milwaukee model, on the other hand, is a bare tool only, meaning it doesn’t come with a battery or charger. However, Milwaukee’s M18 batteries are known for their durability and long run time, so if you already have other M18 tools, this might not be a significant drawback.
So, regarding battery, I’d say this is a tie.
Both brands are known for their durability and build quality.
The DEWALT 20V MAX XR features a durable impact mechanism that’s built to withstand heavy use. It’s designed to last, with a high-quality build that can handle the rigors of professional use.
Similarly, the Milwaukee 2767-20 M18 is designed for longevity. It features a robust design that can handle the demands of professional use. Its durable construction ensures that it can withstand heavy use, making it a reliable choice for any toolbox.
Again, I’d say this is a tie too.
Size & Weight
The DEWALT 20V MAX XR weighs in at 7.2 lbs, making it a bit heavier than the Milwaukee 2767-20 M18, which weighs just 6 lbs. While the difference might not seem significant, it can affect user comfort and fatigue, especially during prolonged use.
In terms of size, both tools are compact and designed for easy handling.
However, the Milwaukee tool is slightly smaller, making it a better choice for tight spaces. Its compact design allows you to work in areas where larger tools might not fit, making it a versatile addition to any tool collection.
Frequently Asked Questions
Now that we’ve compared the two, let’s tackle some frequently asked questions about Dewalt and Milwaukee impact wrenches. Stay tuned, because we’re about to clear up some common misconceptions.
Is Milwaukee owned by DeWalt?
No, Milwaukee and DeWalt are owned by separate entities. Milwaukee is a subsidiary of Techtronic Industries, a Hong Kong-based company, while DeWalt is a subsidiary of Stanley Black & Decker, an American company. Despite being competitors in the power tool industry, they operate independently of each other.
Is DeWalt made in the USA?
DeWalt is a global brand with manufacturing facilities all over the world, including the USA. Many DeWalt tools are made in the USA with global materials, meaning they are assembled in the USA using components sourced from various countries. You can usually find this information on the product packaging or in the product description.