Being at home when the power is out a scenario no one wants to experience.
But, with the right preparation, you can keep your home humming along, even when the rest of the neighborhood is in the dark.
How? By investing in the best large inverter generator for home backup.
Now, we’re not talking about just any generator. We’re talking about a powerhouse that can keep your essential appliances and devices running smoothly, even when the main power grid takes a hit.
The thing is that in the sea of generators available today, finding the perfect one can feel like searching for a needle in a haystack. But don’t worry, we’re here to light the way.
This guide will help you by showing you the top-rated portable home generators. We’ve sifted through the options to bring you the best of the best, from the best value generator for home to the best-rated generators for home use.
Whether you’re in a cozy cottage needing the best generator for a small home or you’re safeguarding a larger property with the best inverter generator for home backup, we’ve got you covered.
Let’s get into it.
List Of The Best Generators For Home Backup
The next 10 generators were personally tested by me and I found them to be great for home backup electricity:
- 1) Wen 56200I 2000-Watt Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator For Home Backup
- 2) Duromax Xp4850Eh Dual Fuel Portable Generator For Home Backup
- 3) Honda 663520 Eu2200 120V Portable Inverter Generator
- 4) Westinghouse Wgen7500 7500 Rated Watts & 9500 Peak Watts Generator For Home Backup
- 5) Champion 6250-Watt Dh Series Open Frame Generator For Home Backup
- 6) Generac 7127 Iq3500-3500 Watt Portable Inverter Generator For Home Backup
- 7) Champion Power Equipment 100692 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator For Home Backup
- 8) Westinghouse Wgen3600 Portable Generator For Home Backup
- 9) Champion Power Equipment 76533 4750/3800-Watt Dual Fuel Rv Ready Portable Generator For Home Backup
- 10) Baldr Portable Power Station 330W Portable Solar Generators For Home Backup
1. Wen 56200I 2000-Watt Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator For Home Backup
This WEN 56200i generator performs great in that department as it provides 9.4 hours of runtime and a fuel tank of 1 gallon which is more than enough to power most of the basic electronics needed in a household.
Moreover, it has the advantage of operating at only 53 decibels and is CARB Compliant which means that not only the generator will make almost no noise, but it will reduce its carbon emissions.
- EPA III and CARB Compliant engine for eco-friendly operation
- Quiet operation at 53 decibels, ensuring a peaceful environment
- Multiple power outlets for versatile usage
- 1-gallon fuel tank for extended operation
- 9.4 hours quarter-load runtime, ensuring long-lasting power supply
- Lack Of Wheels Might Be Inconvenient
2. Duromax Xp4850Eh Dual Fuel Portable Generator For Home Backup
This DuroMax generator has 4,850 starting watts and 3,850 running watts which means it can power really heavy electric equipment for the household, such as lights and air conditioners.
Moreover, it has very convenient features like an automatic shutdown when the generator is running on low oil which substantially increases its lifespan.
A huge drawback for most generators destined to power household equipment is the level of noise they make.
And, in that sense, this DuroMax generator surpasses expectations as it offers a noise level of 69db which is really low for a generator that has this level of wattage.
- High power output with 4,850 starting watts and 3,850 running watts
- Dual fuel operation for flexibility and convenience
- Automatic low oil shutdown for enhanced engine protection
- EPA and CARB compliance for environmental friendliness
- Low noise level at 69 dB, ensuring a quiet operation
- Poor Assembly Instructions (But Manageable)
3. Honda 663520 Eu2200 120V 2200-Watt 0.95 Gallon Portable Inverter Generator With Co-Minder
This Honda home backup generator performs really well in that sense as it offers 8.1 hours of runtime and it does it on less than a gallon of fuel, which speaks to its fuel efficiency.
When spending hundreds of dollars on a generator you’ll also want to enjoy various convenient features that don’t seem essential at first, but that in combination can improve the utility one takes out of a product like this.
This is why, during the testing period, I loved features such as its weight, which is only 47 pounds making this generator fairly lightweight, and its low working noise which stands between 48 to 57 decibels that’s quieter than a conversation between two people.
- Advanced carbon monoxide detection system for safety
- Quiet operation between 48 to 57 dBA for a peaceful environment
- Fuel-efficient operation with up to 8.1 hours on less than a gallon of fuel
- Lightweight design at just over 47 pounds for easy portability
- Inverter technology for stable, clean power
- Might Be A Bit Noisy
4. Westinghouse Wgen7500 7500 Rated Watts & 9500 Peak Watts Generator For Home Backup
Well, that’s exactly what the guys at Westinghouse did with this WGen7500 generator as it offers 7,500 running watts and 9,500 peak watts which in combination with its 11 hours of running time is perfect to maintain all my electric products powered.
Additionally, this generator has come with really cool convenient features such as its electric start backed by an emergency coil start, which in combination with its automatic shutdown when running low on oil or when an overload is detected transforms this Westinghouse generator into one of the most advanced generators I have ever tested.
- High power output with 7,500 running watts and 9,500 peak watts to run all kinds of home devices
- Long runtime of up to 11 hours on a 6.6-gallon fuel tank
- Push-button electric start for easy operation
- Real-time updates with VFT display for voltage output, frequency, and lifetime hours
- Automatic low oil shutdown and overload protection for safety
- It’S Not Recommended For Foul Weather
5. Champion 6250-Watt Dh Series Open Frame Generator For Home Backup
This Champion 6250 generator for home backup surpassed my expectations in that sense as it came with 6250 starting watts and 5000 running watts which, in combination, provided 12.5 hours of run time which is sufficient runtime for me and my family.
This generator also performed well in other sectors too, as it came with:
- A noise level of only 69 decibels, which is lower than the noise made in a conversation between people
- The possibility to monitor various important indicators related to frequency, voltage, and operating hours
- Economy fuel mode
Last but not least, it also has a convenient and flexible oil funnel, which makes maintenance tasks very easy, probably making it one of the best inverter portable generators on the market.
- Quiet operation at 69 dBA noise level
- High power output with 6250 starting watts and 5000 running watts
- Long runtime of up to 12.5 hours on gasoline, to power your home gadgets for longer
- Advanced open frame inverter design for quiet and lightweight operation
- Convenient “Intelligauge” to monitor voltage, frequency, and operating hours
- Does Not Have An Electric Start (Not A Big Issue For Me)
6. Generac 7127 Iq3500-3500 Watt Portable Inverter Generator For Home Backup
In the case of this Generac 7127, the wattage it provides is 3500 starting watts and 3000 running watts which is enough to power most of my vital gadgets all day long.
This generator also surpassed my expectations in terms of convenience as it came with attributes such as its digital smart LCD which gave me useful information about relevant indicators of the generator (such as status, hour meter, wattage meter, etc)
Moreover, it came with an electric start that made the experience of using this generator substantially better.
- Durable steel enclosure for enhanced durability
- High power output with 3500 starting watts and 3000 running watts to run TV and air conditioner
- Digital smart LCD for real-time updates on wattage, run time, and other parameters
- Electric start for easy operation
- Lightweight design at 109.1 pounds for easy portability around the house
- The Access Hole Through Plastic Cover To Remove Spark Plug Might Be A Big Small For Some Hands
7. Champion Power Equipment 100692 2000-Watt Ultralight Portable Inverter Generator For Home Backup
Why? Well because it comes with great features such as its 2000 starting watts and 1700 running watts, and its 11.5 hours of runtime which let anybody power most of their essential household equipment for most of the day.
It also runs at 58 decibels of noise level which is quite good for a generator of this level of power, given that a conversation between people runs around 75 decibels.
- Lightweight design at 39 pounds for easy portability in your home
- Quiet operation at 58 dBA from 23 feet so you don’t disturb anyone around the house
- High power output with 2000 starting watts and 1700 running watts
- Long runtime of 11.5 hours
- Clean electricity output for sensitive and expensive electronics
- Bit Of A Hassle To Put Oil In It The First Time You Do It
8. Westinghouse Wgen3600 Portable Generator For Home Backup
This is why I was really surprised when reviewing this Westinghouse WGen3600 generator for home backup as it offers, for instance, 3600 running watts and a 4-gallon fuel tank big enough to run for about 13.5 hours providing a steady stream of electricity.
Moreover, it’s really portable and convenient, as it weighs 107 pounds and runs at 68 decibels which is quieter than the noise made in a normal conversation.
- High wattage with 3,600 running watts and 4,650 peak watts
- Long runtime of up to 13.5 hours on a 4-gallon fuel tank, which is perfect for emergency house backup
- Durable engine construction with a cast iron sleeve
- Low noise operation at 68 dBA, so you don’t disturb your family
- Automatic low oil shutdown and overload protection for safety
- Does Not Have Electric Start
9. Champion Power Equipment 76533 4750/3800-Watt Dual Fuel Rv Ready Portable Generator For Home Backup
And this is exactly what this Champion 76533 generator is, as it has features such as its motor that conveniently runs both in gasoline or propane, providing a wattage of close to 3800 watts. This is, of course, more than enough to power essential household equipment for one entire day.
It also has very convenient features that make getting this generator, an even better decision. I mean, it has an electric start with a handy toggle switch which makes turning on and off the generator insanely easy.
Finally, it gives users the possibility to track important indicators such as voltage, run time, and hertz which is useful information for various generator enthusiasts.
- Dual fuel operation, providing flexibility and convenience
- High power output with 4750 starting watts and 3800 running watts to run home electronics
- Handy toggle switch for easy operation
- Intelligauge to monitor voltage, hertz, and run-time hours
- Low oil shut-off sensor for engine protection and easy maintenance tasks
- The Oil Drain Is Poorly Located
10. Baldr Portable Power Station 330W Portable Solar Generators For Home Backup
This is why I decided to list this BALDR generator in this article as it offers 297 watts/hour of power capacity which is more than enough to power most electronic equipment.
It also has some other cool features, such as:
- It doesn’t use gasoline, which means there are no toxic fumes and is completely environmentally friendly
- Battery management system to maximize the use and lifespan of the generator
- A weight of 7.1 pounds, which makes it portable for a generator of this level of power
- It has a wireless charger and a built-in flashlight
- High power capacity of 297Wh
- Multiple charging methods for convenience
- Lightweight design at 7.1 pounds for easy portability
- Battery management system for efficient utilization and extended lifespan
- Additional features like a wireless charger and built-in flashlight for added convenience
- Did Not Find A Disadvantage Here!
My Verdict: The Best Generators For Home Backup
Champion Power Equipment 76533 4750/3800-Watt Dual Fuel Rv Ready Portable Generator For Home Backup
If you want to know why I chose this Champion generator as the best generator for home backup then you should click the button down below as it will redirect you to the short review I made about it from my point of view.
Quick Comparison Table
How Did I Test The Best Generators For Home Backup
These are the tests I did to arrive at the list of the best generators for home backup:
Power Reliability Test
For each generator, I listed in this article I made sure to fill their tanks, turn them on and let them run with a few electric devices attached until empty.
If the generators lasted the time listed in their product descriptions, on separate and repeated occasions, then I would continue with further testing.
This test was easy, if the generator was portable enough to be easily moved from one place to another, then it would pass the test.
The durability test was the hardest as I had to stress test each generator for a long period of time, which cost me a lot of money.
However, it did give me enough information to comfortably recommend what generators were made with reliable materials that would last, at least, a few years.
Must-Have Features For The Best Generators For Home Backup
For those interested in saving a lot of time, these are the attributes generators for home backup should have.
The last thing you want when buying a generator is one without enough power to give a steady stream of electricity to various electric devices at the same time.
I mean, at the end of the day, you’re trying to give power to a house, right?
Thus, looking for a generator with enough wattage to charge and power various devices is first on my list of must-haves for generators.
You might think: “well, most of the generators I’m looking at should be safe to power most of my essential gadgets, regardless of the exterior conditions (i.e. hot or low temperatures). I mean, look at those prices!”
Well, the truth is not that simple as most expensive generators for home backup don’t necessarily provide a steady power source.
This is why I recommend looking for generators that offer reliable performance with a regular voltage as this is the easiest way to make sure that your equipment is not going to be wrecked by an electrical surge.
Well, this is an easy one. Fuel is expensive, I mean really expensive, we all know it.
Getting a generator that offers a strong fuel efficiency is the best way to make sure that you won’t go broke when powering your household devices.
A common problem with home backup generators is that they are really noisy.
I mean, even though it’s not a big issue, I really like to use generators that run around 52 to 60dba of noise. As this is the sweet spot between power and noise.
Portability & Compactness
If the generator you’re looking at weighs about 200 and 250 lbs then I think it’s compact enough for these circumstances.
Nobody wants to see their hard-earned money wasted on a generator that doesn’t last more than a few months, right?
Well, if you don’t want to suffer that frustration, then going for a generator manufactured by a recognizable brand, that uses quality materials in their products and that has good reviews is a good start.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Generators For Home Backup Need To Be Maintained?
Just like any car with a motor, a generator needs regular oil and filter changes to make sure that no problems will come up in the future.
What’s The Advantage Of An Aluminum Enclosure In A Generator For Home Backup?
When it comes to a generator for home backup, the last thing someone wants is to get one that doesn’t last more than a few months.
This is why aluminum enclosures started to appear in current generators as this material has the advantage of being rust and corrosion resistant which makes it perfect for humid environments and the unstoppable pass of time.
Pro-tip: For those interested in skipping getting an aluminum enclosure (or not) and running the generator indoors, make sure to read this article.
Can A Generator For Home Backup Replace Utility Service?
This is an easy one: NO
Fuel costs are really high in comparison with the utility bill mainly because you have to pay the fuel on your own while the electric bill is divided by thousands of customers that live nearby you.
How Do I Correctly Choose A Generator’S Size For My Home?
The process for measuring the size of the generator you need for your home backup is simple:
- Make sure to measure how much electricity (wattage) your essential devices need to run for a day or a half of a day
- Think of how long you will need or want the generator to provide electricity
- Calculate the level of wattage in total you will need to power all your household equipment
- Read the specifications of every generator and choose accordingly
What Type Of Oil Should I Use To Maintain A Generator For Home Backup?
You will have to read the user’s manual to get an exact answer.
However, it is safe to say that a SAE rated oil that meets the requirements for fuel engines should be fine to use as oil for your generator for home backup.
In my case, I use the SAE 30, both with my generator and lawnmower.
What Happens If The Generator Gets Overloaded?
Nasty things can happen if a generator gets overloaded. I mean it could:
- Ruin your household equipment and devices
- Ruin the generator itself
- Catch on fire
- Break and release hazardous gasses or just leak fuel
- Make you lose thousands of dollars on repairs
The best way to make sure that this does not happen is by doing two of the following things:
- Calculate the needed wattage: Make sure that the household devices you will hook to the generators at the same time need the amount of wattage your generator offers
- Get a generator with overload protection: This is key. Nowadays there are a lot of brands that offer overload protection. What it does, is basically turning off the power in the generator before reaching an electric overload, which avoids all the headaches I previously mentioned