If you’ve ever found yourself wrestling with a heavy, cumbersome electric snow blower in the midst of a blizzard, you know the struggle.
The frustration of dealing with weak motors and small tires that just can’t grip the heavy snow is enough to make anyone’s blood boil. And don’t even get me started on the lack of front lights!
But fear not as that’s why I personally built this article that will show you the best electric snow blowers for heavy snow.
Let’s dive right into it.
Why are Electric Snow Blowers Essential for Heavy Snow?
Electric snow blowers are not just a luxury; they’re a necessity when dealing with heavy snow.
Imagine waking up to a thick blanket of snow covering your driveway, and all you have is a shovel. The back-breaking labor, the endless hours, the sheer exhaustion – it’s a nightmare.
Electric snow blowers are designed to handle the heavy lifting. With powerful motors and innovative features, they can clear large areas in a fraction of the time it would take manually.
Also, they provide the traction needed to move through heavy snow, and the adjustable chutes allow you to direct the snow where you want it.
Corded vs. Cordless Electric Snow Blowers
With a corded electric snow blower, I found the continuous power to be a major plus. I never had to worry about running out of battery in the middle of clearing my driveway.
But the cord did limit my mobility, and I had to be mindful of the nearest outlet. It was a bit like dancing with the machine, making sure I didn’t trip over the cord or pull it out of the wall.
On the other hand, the cordless model offered me the freedom to move around without any constraints. I could take it anywhere on my property without worrying about the cord’s length or finding an outlet.
However, the battery life became a consideration. I had to plan my snow clearing around the battery’s charge, and on heavy snow days, I found myself watching the battery indicator more often than I’d like.
The Best Electric Snow Blower For Heavy Snow
Here is the list of the best electric snow blowers for heavy snow I found after extensive search:
- Snow Joe iON100V-21SB 100-Volt iONPRO Electric Snow Blower for Heavy Snow
- Snow Joe 24V-X2-SB18 48-Volt iON+ Electric Snow Blower for Heavy Snow
- Snow Joe iON8024-XR 80-Volt iONMAX Cordless Electric Snow Blower for Heavy Snow
- Snow Joe iON18SB 40-Volt iONMAX Cordless Electric Snow Blower for Heavy Snow
- Snow Joe SJ627E Electric Snow Blower for Heavy Snow
- Greenworks 2600402 Pro 80V 20-Inch Electric Snow Blower for Heavy Snow
- Greenworks 13 Amp 20-Inch Electric Snow Blower
- EGO Power+ SNT2112 21-Inch Electric Snow Blower
- Worx 40V 20″ Electric Snow Blower
- WEN 5664 Blaster 13.5-Amp Electric Snow Blower
1. Snow Joe iON100V-21SB 100-Volt Electric Snow Blower
Regarding performance, the 100-volt battery provided enough power to plow through even the most stubborn snowbanks and the 21-inch clearing width made quick work of my large driveway, and I found myself spending less time out in the cold.
One of the standout features of this snow blower is its battery life.
I was able to clear my entire driveway and walkways on a single charge. The battery indicator on the handlebar was a handy feature, allowing me to keep track of the remaining charge. I never felt the anxiety of running out of power mid-job.
And, the cordless design gave me the freedom to move around without any hindrance, which is very cool.
Also, the steel construction gave me confidence that it could withstand the harsh winter conditions. The assembly was straightforward, and all the parts fit together seamlessly.
- Clears heavy snow effortlessly with its 100-volt battery.
- A single charge lasts long enough to clear large areas.
- Cordless design and adjustable chute make it easy to handle.
- Low noise level
- Sturdy construction designed to withstand harsh conditions.
- LED headlights, variable speed settings, and easy-start button add to the overall ease of use.
- I found it a bit heavy, especially when maneuvering in tight spaces
2. Snow Joe 24V-X2-Sb18 48-Volt Ion+ Electric Snow Blower
I was immediately impressed by the adjustable chute control that rotated 180 degrees, allowing me to clear heavy snow very far away.
The integrated 2W LED headlights were a lifesaver during nighttime snow clearing.
The Ion+ 24V lithium-ion battery provided enough runtime to clear away as much heavy snow as I wanted, making the whole process smooth and efficient.
The blower comes with a powerful 1200W brushless motor that can blow away 14 tons of snow per charge, which is more than enough for heavy snow.
The rubber-tipped steel blade auger was able to clear an 18-inch wide and 10-inch deep path in a single pass. I never felt like the machine was struggling, even with the heaviest snow.
- Ion+ 24V lithium-ion battery system provides up to 40 minutes of rechargeable runtime.
- Rubber-tipped steel blade auger clears a path 18 inches wide x 10 inches deep in a single pass.
- Powerful 1200W brushless motor clears up to 14 tons of snow per charge.
- 2W LED headlight for easier nighttime clearing.
- Difficult to maneuver during extended use as it is very heavy
3. Snow Joe Ion8024-Xr 80-Volt Ionmax Cordless Electric Snow Blower
Being able to manage your heavy electric snow blower as if it weighed only a few pounds is an awesome feeling.
That’s why I loved how this Snow Joe iON8024-XR 80-Volt iONMAX Cordless Electric Snow Blower for Heavy Snow as it came with a chute that rotated up to 180 degrees, throwing away heavy snow up to 32 feet.
A great pair of front led lights, such as this electric snow blower has, is essential for actually watching your clearing path when you do this in the dark.
There’s nothing better for an electric snow blower than a powerful 4-speed digital drive system and a reliable steel auger that, in combination, manages to move close to 1000 pounds of heavy snow per minute.
Lastly, in terms of convenience, this snow blower came with two 40v batteries which delivered me a 30 to 40-minute whisper-quiet runtime, which was more than enough to clear my entire driveway of heavy snow.
- Allows flexibility in operation, with speed 3 for heavy snow and speed 1 for lighter tasks.
- Electric motor to rotate the chute that provides easy control over the direction of snow discharge.
- Bright headlights
- Convenient cordless design
- While it can handle deep snow, it does not do so quickly
4. Snow Joe Ion18Sb 40-Volt Ionmax Electric Snow Blower
A proper electric snow blower must be easy to manage, especially if it’s intended to be used to blow heavy snow away.
In that sense, this Snow Joe iON18SB 40-Volt iONMAX electric snow blower came with a chute that rotates to up to 180 degrees and a lightweight structure that weighs only 32 lbs which makes this machine easy to manage without sacrificing power at all.
To provide maximum power, this machine came with a steel auger with 2 rubber blades that helped me in blowing away 500 pounds of snow per minute, leaving a cleared path of 18 inches by 8 inches.
Also, this machine came with a 40v 4.0 Ah iONMAX rechargeable lithium battery which contributes to its lightweight and gave me a runtime of up to 50 minutes during the testing period, which was more than enough for me.
- Lightweight Design: Only 32 lbs, making it easy to move around.
- 40V 4.0 Ah Ionmax rechargeable lithium-ion battery ensures uninterrupted work.
- Auto-Rotate Chute: 180° auto-rotate chute throws snow up to 20 feet, providing efficient snow removal.
- Cuts up to 18 inches wide and 8 inches deep in one pass, saving time and effort.
- Plastic body feels flimsy
5. Snow Joe Sj627E Electric Snow Blower
Living in an area where heavy snowfall is a common occurrence, I was looking for a snow blower that could handle the task efficiently, which is exactly what this Snow Joe Sj627E electric snow blower did.
First off, it’s designed for quick heavy snow pickups on mid-sized driveways and walkways, which is what I wanted.
With a powerful 15-amp electric motor, it can move up to 25 tons per hour of snow and clear a 22-inch by 13-inch path in a single pass, mainly thanks to the all-steel auger cuts through the snow effortlessly.
Oh, and it comes with 2 x 15W LED lights make nighttime snow removal very easy.
And, what impressed me the most was the compact wheels that allowed for easy maneuverability in winter weather conditions.
- 15-amp electric motor ensures efficient snow removal, saving time and effort.
- Dual 15W LED lights enable clear visibility during nighttime operations, enhancing safety.
- The all-steel auger cuts a 22-inch wide by 13-inch deep path, ensuring thorough clearing.
- Easy maneuverability in heavy winter weather conditions, providing smooth operation.
- Not for big driveways, even though it easily handles heavy snow
6. Greenworks 80V Electric Snow Blower
I was initially drawn to this Greenworks electric snow blower because of its compatibility with 75+ tools and the brushless cordless design, but I fell in love with it due to its many other features.
For instance, its 20Ah battery was a pleasant surprise as it provided me with the flexibility of being able to pick up heavy snow without dealing with cords.
I used it during a recent blizzard, and it worked exceptionally well. It effortlessly cleared my driveway, front patio, and path mainly thanks to its very strong motor.
I was impressed by its performance, especially considering the 15 to 17 inches of snow with drifts that were easily 2.5 feet deep.
- Brushless Cordless Design: Ensures smooth operation without the hassle of cords.
- 20Ah battery provides sufficient runtime to clear heavy snow.
- 20-Inch Clearing Path
- Battery is kinda tricky in very cold circumstances
7. Greenworks 13 Amp 20-Inch Electric Snow Blower
This Greenworks corded snow blower is a gas-alternative machine that caught my attention with its sleek green design.
I was impressed by the 13 Amp motor that delivered powerful results, making it a suitable alternative to traditional gas-powered snow blowers.
The adjustable 180-degree directional chute made snow throwing manageable, and the easy electric start ensured hassle-free operation. I was able to discharge snow up to 20 feet, and the 7-inch wheels provided greater mobility.
Also, the 20-inch clearing path and 10-inch clearing depth were more than enough for my needs.
- 3 Amp motor delivers powerful results
- Adjustable 180-degree directional chute
- Easy electric start
- 20-inch clearing path and 10-inch clearing depth
- 7-inch wheels for greater mobility
- Limited to 120 volts
8. EGO Power+ SNT2112 21-Inch Electric Snow Blower
I must admit, I was initially skeptical about this snow blower as I wasn’t expecting much from a single-stage snow blower.
However, after a year of using a shovel, I decided to give this EGO Power+ snow blower a try.
Right out of the box, the setup was simple, with the auger being the only part to attach.
The batteries charged quickly, and the charging base was robust, fully charging the batteries within half an hour.
Our first snow was about 7 inches of heavy snow, and I was concerned that this snow blower wasn’t able to handle it. But I was wrong.
It went through it with aplomb, and I was able to clear my whole 2-car driveway and front walkway with one charge.
It didn’t throw the heavy snow 15 feet (like some other do), but it did the job efficiently.
- The only assembly required is attaching the auger, making it user-friendly.
- Fast Charging Batteries
- Despite being a single-stage snow blower, it can handle wet, heavy snow, clearing a 3-car driveway with ease.
- Limited snow throwing distance
9. Worx 40V 20″ Electric Snow Blower
The first thing I noticed was the sleek black and orange design. It was relatively lightweight, and the assembly was a breeze.
The single-stage rotary auger gave it the force to grind through compacted snow and ice, just like larger blowers, but in a more manageable design.
The high-efficiency brushless motor was a standout feature, generating more power while using less battery. I was also impressed by the 180° rotating chute that allowed me to throw snow up to 20 feet in any direction.
The dual LED headlights were a nice touch for early morning or late evening snow clearing. The fully collapsible handle made it easy to store during the offseason, and the soft-grip handle made it comfortable to use.
- Two power share batteries provide gas-like power without the drawbacks of gasoline.
- Single-Stage rotary auger that grinds through compacted snow and ice like larger blowers but in a smaller design.
- High-Efficiency brushless motor that generates more power and uses less battery, with a longer lifespan.
- 180° Rotating Chute: Throws snow up to 20 feet in any direction, with one-touch multi-position adjustable chute deflector.
- Dual LED Headlights
- Fully Collapsible Handle
- No cons over here
10. WEN 5664 Blaster 13.5-Amp Electric Snow Blower
The WEN 5664 Blaster is a corded electric snow thrower that’s designed to clear snow 18 inches wide and 7-8 inches deep.
With a 13.5-amp motor, it can throw up to 490 pounds of snow per minute, shooting it up to 20 feet away.
The 6-inch wheels and lightweight design made it easy for me to maneuver through the snow.
The quick-adjust chute, which rotates 180 degrees, allowed me to direct the path of the snow effortlessly. I found this feature particularly useful as it gave me control over where the snow was being thrown.
The lightweight design was a bonus, making it easy to move around.
One thing that stood out to me was the simplicity of the machine. It didn’t have any unnecessary features that would complicate its operation. It did what it was supposed to do, and it did it well.
- Lightweight and easy to assemble.
- Powerful 13.5-amp motor that can handle heavy snow.
- Quick-adjust chute for directional control.
- 6-inch wheels for easy mobility.
- Limited range of movement
The Best Electric Snow Blower for Heavy Snow Overall
Snow Joe Ion8024-Xr 80-Volt Ionmax Cordless Electric Snow Blower
From my personal experience, this snow blower has proven to be a reliable and efficient tool that makes heavy snow removal a breeze.
The first thing I noticed about this snow blower is its powerful 80-Volt battery system. It provides enough juice to clear large areas without the need for constant recharging, even when it comes to heavy snow.
The cordless design adds to the convenience, allowing me to move freely without worrying about cords or outlets.
One of the standout features of this snow blower is its user-friendly controls. With a simple push of a button, I could adjust the speed and direction, making the snow removal process smooth and effortless.
Must Have Features of The Best Electric Snow Blower
There are a lot of features to take into consideration when buying your next electric snow blower for heavy snow if you want to avoid any regrets.
This is the list I made with all those attributes so you didn’t have to waste your time:
When it comes to handling heavy snow, the weight of the electric snow blower plays a crucial role.
A lightweight structure ensures that you can move the unit effortlessly through the snow. Look for a snow blower that is designed with a weight balance that makes it easy to maneuver. This feature will save you time and energy, allowing you to clear heavy snow with ease.
Large And Tractionable Tires
Tires are the foundation of any snow blower, and having large and tractionable ones is vital for heavy snow removal.
These tires provide the necessary grip and stability on slippery surfaces. When shopping for a snow blower, make sure to check the tire size and the material used. Tractionable tires will ensure that you have full control over the machine, even in the toughest snow conditions.
Clearing snow during low-light conditions can be challenging.
Front lights on a snow blower are not just a luxury but a necessity.
They increase visibility, allowing you to see where you are working, especially during nighttime or in dark areas where the only thing you see is heavy snow.
Look for LED headlights that offer bright and energy-efficient illumination. This feature enhances safety and allows you to clear snow at any time of the day.
Solid Power to Deal With Heavy Snow
Power is the backbone of an electric snow blower, especially when dealing with heavy snow. A weak motor won’t be able to handle the task.
Look for a snow blower with a robust motor, preferably brushless, that can move tons of snow per charge. Check the specifications for the motor’s wattage and the auger’s speed.
A powerful motor ensures that you can clear a wide and deep path in a single pass (even when the surface is all heavy snow), making the job quicker and more efficient.
Investing in a snow blower made of quality materials is essential for long-term use.
Check the build quality, including the materials used for the auger, chassis, and other components.
Quality materials not only enhance the durability but also improve the overall performance of the snow blower. Look for brands that offer warranties or customer promises, as this reflects confidence in the product’s quality.
Frequently Asked Questions
What types of electric snow blowers are out there?
When it comes to electric snow blowers, there are several types to choose from, each designed to suit different needs and preferences. Let’s explore some of the most common types:
- Single-stage electric snow blowers which are perfect for small to medium-sized driveways and walkways. They are lightweight and easy to maneuver, making them ideal for quick snow removal tasks. The single-stage operation means that the auger both gathers the snow and throws it out of the chute in one motion. While they are efficient, they might not be suitable for extremely heavy or wet snow.
- Two-Stage electric snow blowers which are more powerful and can handle heavier snowfall. They have a separate impeller fan that helps to throw the snow farther and more efficiently. The two-stage process ensures that the snow is first broken up by the auger and then thrown out by the impeller. This type is great for larger driveways and areas with consistent heavy snowfall.
What Is So Important About The Throw Distance?
The throw distance in a snow blower is a crucial factor to consider, especially when dealing with heavy snow. It refers to how far the snow blower can propel the snow away from the cleared path.
A greater throw distance means that the snow is moved further away, preventing it from piling up near the area you’ve just cleared.
This ensures that the cleared path remains accessible and reduces the need for repeated clearing.
What Do I Do With A Clogged Auger?
A clogged auger can be a common issue with snow blowers, especially when dealing with wet and heavy snow.
If your auger becomes clogged, it’s essential to turn off the snow blower and disconnect it from the power source to ensure safety. Then, use a clearing tool or a solid stick to carefully remove the clog from the auger.
Never use your hands or feet to clear the clog, as this can lead to serious injury.
How To Prevent The Auger From Getting Clogged?
Preventing the auger from getting clogged starts with proper operation and maintenance. Here are some tips to help you avoid this issue:
- Use the snow blower at the right speed for the snow conditions.
- Avoid trying to clear overly wet or icy snow that can easily clog the auger.
- Keep the auger and chute clean and well-lubricated.
- Regularly inspect the auger for damage or wear that could lead to clogging.
- Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for operation and maintenance. By following these practices, you can minimize the risk of clogging and ensure that your snow blower operates efficiently.
Are The Best Snow Blowers For Heavy Snow Safe?
Yes, the best snow blowers for heavy snow are designed with safety features and guidelines to ensure safe operation.
However, safety also depends on the user’s adherence to proper operating procedures and precautions.
Always read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions, use appropriate protective gear, and be aware of your surroundings while operating the snow blower.