For newcomers, the world of air compressors can be overwhelming. There are many models with different features and the brands do their best to make things even more confusing.
One of the most common confusions are related to oil lubricated air compressors. Most people know that they are better than their oil-free counterparts as they provide better lubrication for internal components which reduces wear and tear and extends the lifespan of the air compressor.
However, because there are so many options on the market, not everyone knows which is the best oil lubricated air compressor.
So, if you’re looking for a powerful, quiet, and all-around great oiled air compressor, I’d recommend reading this article where I pick and review the best ones I found after weeks of testing.
The Best Oil Lubricated Air Compressor
Known for being efficient, more powerful and durable than their non-oiled counterparts, oil lubricated Oil lubricated air compressors are a great choice for people looking to invest in a new air compressor because they are more efficient, powerful, and durable than their non-oiled counterparts.
Here’s my list of the best ones I found after extensive research:
- Metabo HPT EC99S Oil Lubricated Air Compressor
- Makita MAC700 2.0 HP Big Bore™ Oil Lubricated Air Compressor
- Campbell Hausfeld 8-gallon Oil Lubricated Air Compressor
- Makita MAC2400 2.5 HP Big Bore™ Oil Lubricated Air Compressor
- Metabo HPT EC2610E 8-gallon Oil Lubricated Air Compressor
- GENERAL INTERNATIONAL AC1104 Oil Lubricated Air Compressor
- DEWALT D55151 4-gallon Oil Lubricated Air Compressor
- Campbell Hausfeld VT6290 Oil Lubricated Air Compressor
- Stark USA 65151 10-gallon Oil Lubricated Air Compressor
- Campbell Hausfeld HL540100AV 8-gallon Oil Lubricated Air Compressor
1. Metabo HPT EC99S Oil Lubricated Air Compressor
Metabo offers excellent price-to-performance air compressors that are both powerful and long-lasting, and the EC88S oiled air compressor is no exception.
This air compressor provides 3.1 CFM at 90 PSI, which is enough air pressure to power even the most power-hungry air tools, thanks to features like its 15-amp motor.
Furthermore, its cast iron oil pump is required to generate a high level of air pressure without requiring a lot of electricity.
If portability is important to you, you’ll appreciate its ergonomic handle, which makes this 52.9-pound air compressor relatively easy to move around.
Last but not least, it has thermal overload protection, which automatically shuts down the motor if it detects that the air compressor is running too hot, which is a very useful thing for people who want to ensure that their air compressors will last for years.
- 15 Amp motor that delivers 3.1 CFM at 90 PSI reliably
- Cast iron oil pump makes sure that enough air pressure is created
- Easy to carry around, thanks to its ergonomic handle and 52.9 pound weight
- Convenient lockable regulator to easily customize the air pressure
- Universal quick coupler provides a secure and fast connection between the air compressor and air tool (e.g. framing nailer)
- Ball Valve drain cock that makes it very easy to drain the air compressor of water and moisture
- Thermal Overload protection that keeps the air compressor from getting too hot
- Not as quiet as I would hope it to be (not a big issue though)
2. Makita MAC700 2.0 HP Big Bore™ Oil Lubricated Air Compressor
- PSI rating: 3.3 CFM at 90 PSI
- Tank: Lubricated cast iron pump
- Pump: Cast iron lubricated iron pump
You can spend weeks of your life looking for a reliable and powerful lubricated air compressor, but it will be difficult to find one that compares to Makita’s MAC700 air compressor.
Its 2HP 4-pole motor and cast iron pump provide 3.3 CFM of max air pressure at 90 PSI, which is sufficient for a wide range of applications.
Furthermore, it is oil lubricated, which ensures that all internal components are properly lubricated, extending the overall lifespan of the air compressor.
I must admit that it is quite heavy. However, this is a minor detail when compared to the air compressor’s air filter, which guarantees that the engine receives clean air, ensuring peak performance.
Finally, it has a copper finned discharge tubing, which is important for durability because it improves heat dissipation while protecting expensive and complex internal components.
- 2.0HP 4-pole motor provides 3.3 CFM of air at 90 Pounds per Square Inch (PSI)
- Cast iron pump boasts a large bore cylinder and piston for enhanced operational efficiency
- Low amp draw helps to reduce the likelihood of tripped breakers and voltage drops
- Oil lubrication prolongs the life of the air compressor
- It only produces 80 dB of noise when running, which is quite low compared to most pumps of its type
- Copper finned discharge tubing is an ideal solution for improved heat dissipation
- Roll-bar handle allows for easy portability
- Industrial air filter designed to guarantee the air compressor gets clean air
- Oil sight glass provide convenient visual indication of the level and condition of the oil
- Heavier than it looks
3. Campbell Hausfeld 8-gallon Oil Lubricated Air Compressor
Have you ever looked for an air compressor that is both powerful and reasonably priced? Allow me to introduce this Campbell Hausfeld 8-gallon oil-lubricated air compressor to you.
This air compressor is popular among my coworkers because it has a 1.3HP motor and an oil-lubricated pump that produces 3.7 CFM at 90 PSI. This is an important feature because it allows the air compressor to produce enough air pressure to power most air tools.
It has an ergonomic handle and rear wheels for easy transportation.
Finally, it has easy-to-read gauges and convenient air pressure knob regulators that make operating the air compressor a breeze.
- 1.3HP motor provides 125 Max PSI and 3.7 CFM at 90 PSI for a wide range of applications
- Ergonomic handle and rear wheels for easy portability
- Oil-lubed pump that makes sure the engine works properly
- Easy to operate air pressure gauges and regulator knobs
- Assembly is a bit tricky
4. Makita MAC2400 2.5 HP Big Bore™ Oil Lubricated Air Compressor
How can this be possible?
Well, for one, it comes with a 2.5-HP low amp motor that, thanks to its oil lubricated pump, produces 4.8 CFM at 90 PSI, which is a surprising level of air pressure when comparing it with other similarly-priced air compressors.
Also, its roll-cage construction is a very sought-after feature as it guarantees that the air compressor will withstand tough exterior conditions.
Some people like to complain about the fact that it’s a bit heavy (weighing 80 pounds). However, I believe this is a small detail when you compare it with other features such as its quiet operation that only makes 80 dB of noise when at full throttle.
- 2.5 HP 4-Pole low-amp-draw motor produces 4.8 CFM at 90 PSI
- Roll-cage construction withstands all work environments
- Oil lubricated pump that enhances durability and reliability as it allows the air compressor to run cooler
- Pumps requires less RPMs to run, allowing the air compressor to only make 79dB of noise
- Air filter that provides clean air to reduce the chances of any performance issues
- It weighs around 80 pounds
5. Metabo HPT EC2610E 8-gallon Oil Lubricated Air Compressor
This Metabo HPT EC2610E air compressor is ideal if you need a powerful or long-lasting air compressor.
Its Honda GX 160 motor has a cast iron oil lubricated pump that delivers 9.5 CFM at 90 PSI, so you’ll never run out of air pressure to power your air tools.
Furthermore, despite its bulk, this air compressor has a wheelbarrow design that makes it easy to move around your workplace.
I like how its pneumatic throttle ensures perfect and consistent airflow by regulating the motor speed.
- Honda GX 160 delivers 9.5 CFM delivered at 90 PSI
- Cast iron, low RPM, oil lubricated pump that guarantees a quiet and reliable performance
- Locking regulator ensures smooth performance and prevents sudden surges of air pressure
- Pneumatic throttle regulates the speed of the motor to deliver a steady and consistent flow of air pressure
- Stainless steel braided discharge hose
- Easy-to-read industrial air pressure gauges
- Wheelbarrow design for easy transportation
- Based on my experience, I have no cons to speak of
6. GENERAL INTERNATIONAL AC1104 Oil Lubricated Air Compressor
- PSI rating: 4.8 CFM at 90 PSI
- Tank: 11-gallon air tank
- Pump: Oil lubricated single cylinder pump
When you look at this General International AC1104 vertical air compressor, you’ll quickly see why it’s on my list of the best oil-lubricated air compressors.
It has a 2HP motor with an oil-lubricated single cylinder pump that improves performance, which is critical for increasing productivity.
It also has a vertical design, a rubber grip handle, and two 6-inch wheels, allowing it to be easily moved and stored.
Even though it’s a little loud, I enjoy its useful features, such as thermal overload protection, which keeps the motor from overheating.
Finally, its two air pressure gauges allow the owner to easily read and monitor the air compressor’s air pressure.
- 2HP motor that outputs 4.8 CFM at 90 PSI and 6 CFM at 40 PSI
- Oil-lubricated single cylinder pump improves performance
- Rubber grip handle and all terrain 6-inch wheels that make the air compressor easy to move around
- Convenient quick connect fitting
- Vertical design for easy storage
- 2 air pressure gauges for better air pressure control
- Thermal overload protection
7. DEWALT D55151 4-gallon Oil Lubricated Air Compressor
- PSI rating: 1.1-HP motor delivers 3.2 CFM
- Tank: 4-gallon twin stack air tank
- Pump: Oil lubricated pump
Whether you’re looking to inflate tires or power your most-needed air tools, this Dewalt D55151 oil-lubricated air compressor is a great option.
Its 1.1HP motor has an oil-lubricated pump that can deliver 3.2 CFM at 100 PSI, allowing you to work with any air tool without issue.
It even includes a 4-gallon twin stack air tank, which is necessary to provide a longer runtime so you can tackle tough jobs.
Although it is noisy when running at full throttle, I like how it has features like overload protection, which increases the overall lifespan of the air compressor by preventing it from overheating.
To top it all off, this Dewalt air compressor weighs only 53.32 pounds, making it significantly lighter than other similar air compressors.
- 1.1-HP motor delivers 3.2 CFM delivered at 100 PSI
- Oil lubricated pump ensures smooth performance
- 4-gallon twin-stack tank that provides a longer runtime
- Overload protection
- It only weighs 53.32 lbs and has a handle for easy transport
8. Campbell Hausfeld VT6290 Oil Lubricated Air Compressor
- PSI rating: 5.5 CFM at 90 PSI
- Tank: 20-gallon air tank
- Pump: Cast iron, oil-lubricated, two cylinder single stage pump
There are only a handful of oiled air compressors that are worth your money, one of those is this Campbell Hausfeld VT6290 air compressor.
For one, it has a 2HP dual voltage motor that, thanks to its cast iron oiled pump, outputs 5.5 CFM at 90 PSI of air pressure.
The air compressor has other amazing features, such as its pneumatic wheels which is responsible for making moving this air compressor around easier.
And, finally, the air compressor comes with a fully enclosed metal belt guard that keeps all debris from affecting the internal part of the air compressor which is essential to improve durability.
- 2HP dual voltage motor outputs 5.5 CFM at 90 PSI to run your most needed air tools
- Cast iron, oil-lubricated, two cylinder single stage pump guarantees perfect performance
- Fully enclosed metal belt guard prevents debris and other objects to affect the internals of the air compressor
- Pneumatic wheels simplifies movement
- Oil doesn’t come included
- It’s a bit expensive
9. Stark USA 65151 10-gallon Oil Lubricated Air Compressor
- PSI rating: 3.5 CFM at 90 PSI
- Tank: 10 gallon air tank
- Pump: Cast iron cylinder lubricated pump
You’ll be surprised to learn that I listed this Stark USA 65151 air compressor as one of the best oiled air compressors on the market.
Why did I do this?
For starters, it has a 3.5HP motor that delivers 3.5 CFM at 90 PSI, owing to its cast iron cylinder lubricated pump, which provides incredible air pressure capabilities.
Furthermore, its 10 gallon air tank is large enough to provide a longer runtime for those who need to run air tools for longer periods of time.
It also has a hotdog style that makes it very easy to move around.
I know… its user manual isn’t the best, which makes assembly more difficult. It does, however, come with an industrial filter that filters out all debris to ensure that the air compressor runs smoothly.
- 3.5-HP motor delivers 3.5 CFM at 90 PSI, with a maximum of 125 psi
- Hotdog style design is both portable and easy to operate
- Industrial air filter makes sure the air that’s being used by the motor is free of debris
- Cast iron cylinder lubricated pump provides reliable performance
- 10 gallon air tank makes sure the air compressor delivers a solid runtime
- Automatic shutoff enhances protection and durability
- Lacking user’s manual
10. Campbell Hausfeld HL540100AV 8-gallon Oil Lubricated Air Compressor
This Campbell Hausfeld HL540100AV 8-gallon oiled air compressor has incredible features such as a 1.3HP motor that produces 3.7 CFM at 90 PSI, making it ideal for a wide range of air tool applications.
I especially liked its rear wheels, which make it very easy to move this air compressor around the job site.
Even though it rattles a little, it has air pressure gauges that allow users to easily read air pressure levels, which is ideal for monitoring air pressure levels and thus improving productivity.
- 1.3 HP motor with oil lubricated pump delivers 3.7 CFM at 90 PSI to power all sorts of air tools
- Rear wheels and big handle for easy transport
- Conveniently placed air pressure gauges and regulator knobs
- It rattles a bit
The Best Oil Lubricated Air Compressor Overall
Makita MAC700 2.0 HP Big Bore™ Oil Lubricated Air Compressor
I chose the Makita MAC700 air compressor as the best oil-lubricated air compressor overall because of the following features:
- 2 HP motor that delivers 3.3 CFM at 90 PSI thanks to its oiled cast iron pump that generates amazing levels of air pressure
- Industrial air filter that ensures the air used by the motor is free of debris.
- Noise level of only 80 dB, which is extremely low for an air compressor of this size.
If you’re interested and want to read the full review, click the button down below.
Must Have Features of The Best Oil Lubricated Air Compressor
There are certain features I believe oil lubricated air compressors should have to be considered “the best”, at least by me.
Let’s discuss them:
Strong PSI output
If you want an air compressor that will help you run your most needed air tools and tackle intensive jobs, then I’d suggest you to look for an air compressor with a strong PSI output.
But, how much PSI output should you look for?
In my experience, for running most air tools, I’d say looking for an oiled air compressor that outputs 3 CFM at 90 PSI should be okay. That is, if you want to run most commercial air tools.
On the other hand, if you’re planning on running more professional pneumatic tools that require more PSI, then I’d say looking for an air compressor that delivers at least 4.5 CFM at 90 PSI should be the best choice.
Low Noise Levels
An air compressor’s noise can be unbearable, especially if you’re working right next to it.
This is why I believe you should look for a quiet air compressor, as you will not only work more comfortably (which will increase productivity), but you will also avoid potentially dealing with hearing issues in the future.
In my experience, the sweet spot between power and quietness is an air compressor that makes no more than 85 dB of noise.
Have you ever tried to move a 100-pound air compressor around the jobsite without wheels? It’s simply impossible.
As a result, I advise my colleagues to look for air compressors that are either compact and lightweight, or have wheels and large handles if they are heavy.
This makes moving heavy air compressors very simple, which is important if you need to work on multiple locations with your pneumatic tools.
- Pancake vs Twin Stack Air Compressor
- 10 Best Hotdog Air Compressors in 2023
- What Size Air Compressor for Paint Sprayer?
Ever found yourself running out of air pressure while using your air tool to work on an job (e.g. changing tires)?
If you want to avoid this, you should invest in an air compressor with a large air tank that is able to provide a longer runtime. This is typically accomplished with an air compressor with a minimum 5 gallon air tank.
However, if you are in an industrial setting and require more runtime than a small air compressor can provide, you should choose one with a 10 gallon tank at the very least, as it will provide enough runtime to tackle intensive jobs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the questions that most frequently pop up when discussing oil lubricated air compressors.
I thought it could be nice to give it a go and answer most of them based on my experience.
What is the difference between oil free and oil lubricated air compressor?
There are a few differences that distinguish oil-free and oil-lubricated air compressors.
Oil-free air compressors do not require lubrication, which saves time and money on maintenance. They are, however, less efficient and noisier than oiled air compressors because their internal components are not designed for heavy duty.
Oiled air compressors, on the other hand, are built with oiled pumps that not only produce more air pressure but are also much more durable because their internal components (such as pistons, bearings, and cylinders) are well lubricated. They do require routine maintenance, which can quickly become tedious.
How to paint with oil lubricated air compressor?
I recommend the following steps to anyone interested in painting with an oil-lubricated air compressor:
- First, ensure that the air compressor has sufficient oil to ensure proper operation.
- Connect the air compressor to the paint sprayer.
- Start the air compressor.
- Make sure the surface you want to paint is clean, and then apply a thin layer of paint to it.
- After finishing one thin layer of paint, wait for it to dry before beginning again.
Done! The surface should be perfectly painted after 4 to 6 layers of paint.
If you want to learn more about how to paint with a paint sprayer and an oiled air compressor, I recommend watching this video:
What does it mean for an air compressors lubrication type to be oil free?
An oil-free air compressor is one that does not require any oil to operate. Typically, these air compressors are built with oil-free pumps that produce a significant amount of air pressure without the need for oil lubrication.
This enables these air compressors to run air tools without the need for time-consuming maintenance.
Oil-free air compressors, on the other hand, are noisier and less powerful than oil-lubricated air compressors. At the end of the day, oil is essential for lubricating the internal components of air compressors, allowing them to run more efficiently and quietly.