It’s pretty hard to find a handheld mini belt sander that’s worth it nowadays. I mean, most of them:
- Lack enough power and speed to do a solid sanding job
- Are bulky and heavy to hold for more than a few minutes
- Don’t last more than a few months due to their low-quality materials
This is why I made sure to build an article about the best handheld mini belt sanders based on weeks of research and testing. I hope you like it.
The 10 Best Handheld Mini Belt Sanders
This is the list of the 10 best handheld mini belt sanders I arrived at after careful research and thorough testing:
- WEN 6307 1/2-by-18″ Handheld Mini Belt Sander
- Astro Tools 3036 3/8″ x 13″ Handheld Mini Belt Sander
- 3M – 33575 Handheld Mini Belt Sander
- Makita Handheld Mini Belt Sander
- Astro Tools 3037 Handheld Mini Belt Sander
- Makita 1-1/8″ x 21″ Handheld Mini Belt Sander
- Proxxon 38536 Handheld Mini Belt Sander
- Chicago Electric Handheld Mini Belt Sander with 180 Degree Swivel Head
- JET JAT-751 3/4″ x 20-1/2″ 505751 Handheld Mini Belt Sander
- Max Value Hardware 5.3 Amp 1/2 in. Handheld Mini Belt Sander
1. WEN 6307 1/2-by-18″ Handheld Mini Belt Sander
- Size: 1/2-by-18-inch belt pivots up to 55 degrees
- Speed: Variable speed dial powers the belt from 1080 to 1800 ft/minute
- Brand: WEN
The annoyances of handheld belt sanders are well known, especially referring to their lack of power and speed.
Luckily, this WEN 6307 handheld mini belt sander comes with superior features such as its variable speed dial that allows the user to select the perfect speed (between 1080 and 1800 feet per minute).
Regarding its convenience features, this mini belt sander comes with:
- Auto-tracking belt system meaning the sander doesn’t need any belt adjustment to work properly
- You don’t need any tools to install sanding belts
- 55 degree pivoting to allow more convenient sanding
Last but not least, the tool only weighs 2-1/2 pounds and has a very compact body which makes it perfect to sand in tight places.
- Variable speed dial allows the worker to choose a sanding velocity between 1080 and 1800 feet per minute
- Auto-tracking belt system requires no belt tensioning
- The belt pivots up to 55 degrees to allow for maximum sanding flexibility
- Belt installation requires no tools
- It only weighs 2-1/2 pounds
- Dust port makes attaching a dust collection system possible.
- It doesn’t “feel” solid, but it definitely is
2. Astro Tools 3036 3/8″ x 13″ Handheld Mini Belt Sander
Having the guarantee that your handheld belt sander is powerful enough to help you finish your work is essential.
This is why I loved this Astro Tool 3036 handheld mini belt sander as it comes with a 0.5 HP powerful motor that’s capable of outputting up to 16,000 RPM (with variable speed control). This, of course, is sufficient to tackle any work.
The simple belt tension lever makes it very easy to adjust the belt for perfect sanding accuracy in terms of convenience.
Moreover, this tool only weighs 2.09 pounds and has a nonslip handle grip that allows the user to hold it very comfortably for a longer period of time.
- It only weighs 2.09 pounds
- Max speed is 16,000 rpm which is more than enough for any sanding job
- 0.5 HP motor
- Variable speed control allows for maximum sanding accuracy
- Nonslip handle grip
- Simple belt tension lever for easy adjustments
- The belt it comes with doesn’t last a lot but that’s ok
3. 3M – 33575 Handheld Mini Belt Sander
Rather than using low-quality materials, the guys at 3M added very powerful components to this 33575 handheld mini belt sander.
A perfect example of this is its powerful .65 HP motor that allows for a maximum speed of up to 17,000 RPM which is sufficient for tackling any kind of sanding job.
Additionally, the tool is designed on a compact housing that only weighs 2.16 pounds, making it perfect for long jobs in tight spaces.
- Lightweight body (only 2.16 pounds) allows for less fatigue when holding the tool
- Powerful .65 HP motor
- Compact housing allows for work in tight spaces
- Max speed is 17,000 RPM is enough for any kind of job
- Packaging was not good, but the tool was great
4. Makita Handheld Mini Belt Sander
Have you ever spent hundreds of dollars on a tool that doesn’t provide the power you need?
Well, that won’t happen with this Makita handheld mini belt sander as it outputs up to 5,600 ft/min which is perfect for tricky sanding jobs. It also has a variable speed dial which makes adjusting the speed to achieve maximum sanding accuracy a very easy process.
Additionally, the tool comes with very convenient features such as its adjustable sanding arm that pivots up to 100 degrees which simplifies tricky sanding jobs. And it only weighs 3.5 pounds, pretty cool huh?
- Manufactured by Makita, a brand known worldwide for its quality
- Max speed of 5,600 ft/min which is enough for most sanding applications
- Variable speed dial for better sanding accuracy
- Adjustable sanding arm that pivots up to 100 degrees
- Adjusting the sanding belt is pretty easy
- 3 different size arm assemblies and belts available (1/4-Inch, 3/8-Inch, 1/2-Inch)
- Tool only weighs 3.5 lbs and is very compact
- Can be a bit noisy
5. Astro Tools 3037 Handheld Mini Belt Sander
Spending a serious amount of their hard-earned money on a belt sander that’s not worth it is the worst possible thing that could ever happen to a handyman.
This is why I love this Astro Tools 3037 mini belt sander as it comes with serious features such as its:
- Belt tension lever that makes it very easy to change sanding belts (which is always a hassle)
- Variable speed control that improves on sanding accuracy
- and a powerful 0.5 HP motor that makes all of this possible
Last but not least, the belt sander has a nonslip handle that allows the worker to sand for a longer period of time without losing control of the tool.
- Max speed of up to 16,000 RPM
- Belt tension lever simplifies the process of making sanding belt adjustments
- Variable speed control improves sanding accuracy
- Powerful 0.5 HP motor
- Nonslip handle grip makes it easy to hold the tool for a longer period of time
- The belt swivels a bit
6. Makita 1-1/8″ x 21″ Handheld Mini Belt Sander
Convenience is a big issue with handheld mini belt sanders as most of them just don’t have enough.
Luckily, this Makita mini belt sander is pretty convenient to use thanks to its variable speed control that allows the user to match de belt speed to the sanding needs of different jobs.
Moreover, it has a compact and light structure that gives the user the chance to comfortably hold the tool for a longer period of time without fatiguing the arms.
Lastly, the tool comes with a lock-on button that makes it possible to continuously use the mini belt sander without having to constantly press the trigger.
- Variable speed control to match the speed of the sander to the task
- Compact design and lightweight form factor (only 4-6 lbs) for easy use in narrow spaces
- Side handle can be set to multiple positions for comfortable operation
- Lock-on button allows the worker to operate the tool continuously
- Dust collection system is inconvenient
7. Proxxon 38536 Handheld Mini Belt Sander
This Proxxon 28536 handheld mini belt sander has everything.
For once, it comes in a compact and lightweight design that only weighs 1.4 pounds which is perfect for workers used to using a belt sander for a longer period of time.
Additionally, it comes with a variable speed control that allows the user to select the proper speed for the task at hand.
Regarding its power, this Proxxon mini belt sander comes with a 1/8 HP powerful motor that provides up to 25 ft/s of maximum speed letting the user tackle any sanding job they might be thinking of.
- Compact and lightweight design (it only weighs 1.4 lbs!)
- Variable speed control that allows the worker to work on different surfaces
- The belt has an angle of 60 degrees which is very convenient for tricky jobs
- 1/8 HP motor outputs up to 25 ft/s which is enough for applications ranging from grinding to rounding edges
- Gets a bit warm after 30 minutes of use
8. Chicago Electric Handheld Mini Belt Sander with 180 Degree Swivel Head
- Size: 11” Length x 4-1/2” Height x 3” Width
- Speed: up to 2300 feet per minute
- Brand: Chicago Electric
This Chicago Electric handheld mini belt sander comes with superior features such as its:
- Powerful motor that delivers up to 2300 ft/minutes of sanding speed which gives the user enough grinding power to tackle any task
- Convenient mechanism that makes changing and adjusting sanding belts very easy
Last, the tool is very light and compact given that its main material is aluminum, a metal known for its durability and lightweight.
- Light and compact body made of aluminum
- Sanding belts are very easy to install and adjust
- Max speed is 2300 ft/minutes which is enough for most sanding/trimming/grinding applications
- Head conveniently swivels up to 180 degrees up and down
- Can need constant adjustments
9. JET JAT-751 3/4″ x 20-1/2″ 505751 Handheld Mini Belt Sander
Sadly, it’s very difficult to find a quality handheld mini belt sander nowadays.
In that context, this Jet JAT-751 belt sander stands as an exception thanks to features such as its:
- Powerful motor that delivers up to 18,000 RPM which is sufficient for any sanding or grinding job
- Built-in air regulator that allows the user to regulate speed to achieve maximum sanding accuracy
- Safety throttle lock that prevents irreversible damage
Regarding its convenient features, this tool comes with a rotating air inlet that lets the handyman work without dealing with tangled cables. Its vibration-free ergonomic construction also lets the user sand rough surfaces without feeling it in their arms.
- Max. speed of 18,000 RPM
- Precise speed control thanks to built-in air regulator
- Rotating air inlet lets the user work tangle-free
- Throttle lock prevents irreversible damage
- Ergonomic and compact design (aluminum construction)
- 360-degree head rotation allows the user to reach tight spots
- Belt could be a bit faster
10. Max Value Hardware 5.3 Amp 1/2 in. Handheld Mini Belt Sander
This Max Value Hardware handheld mini belt sander comes with very convenient features such as its head that can swivel up to 180 degrees. This allows the user to sand and grind on difficult-to-reach areas.
Moreover, it comes manufactured with a lightweight body made of aluminum which is both very durable and light.
Last but not least, it has a strong motor that outputs a velocity of up to 2300 FPM which is powerful enough to sand and grind on rough surfaces.
- Max speed of 2300 FPM
- Head can swivel up to 180 degrees letting the user reach tough spots
- Lightweight body made of aluminum
- Based on my experience, I have no cons to speak of!
What Is The Best Handheld Mini Belt Sander Overall?
WEN 6307 1/2-by-18″ Handheld Mini Belt Sander
I selected this WEN handheld mini belt sander due to it having the following features which I find essential:
- Variable speed dial that allows the user to achieve maximum sanding accuracy
- It’s manufactured by WEN which is a globally known tool manufacturer that’s recognized for its quality
- The belt pivots up to 55 degrees to allow for maximum sanding flexibility
If you’d like to read more about it you can find the full review by clicking the button down below.
Quick Comparison Table
Must-Have Features of The Best Handheld Mini Belt Sander
I believe there are certain features one should look for in a handheld mini belt sander for it to be considered anything close to “the best”. Let me share them with you.
A handheld mini belt sander must be powerful enough to help you sand really grainy surfaces.
To achieve this, one must look for a belt sander with a solid motor that rotates the belt at a velocity of at least 10 feet per second.
That way, one gets the guarantee their handheld belt sander will be capable of sanding any surface in no time.
Solid Speed Range
To ensure products with a top-quality finish, one must use a handheld mini belt sander that provides a good level of what I call “sanding accuracy”. That means the tool should work at different speeds on different surfaces.
To get to that point, I believe it’s in best interest to spend money on a belt sander with a variable speed dial that lets the user select different sanding speeds. That way, one can make sure the sanding job is going to be perfectly done.
Most handheld mini belt sanders out there are fairly difficult to use. I mean, it can get really frustrating with some of these tools.
This is why I recommend workers to get mini belt sanders with key features that will make operating them a much easier task. Some of those features are:
- Belt tension levers that make it easy to adjust the sanding belt
- Tool-free belt installation
- Lock-in safety feature that allows for continuous sanding without needing to always press the trigger
Compact & Lightweight Design
There’s nothing more fatiguing than holding a bulky and heavy handheld mini sanding belt for more than a few minutes.
This is why I’d advise you to avoid this and get a tool with a compact design and a weight no higher than six pounds as that’s the limit I find perfect for portable power tools.
Frequently Asked Questions
These are the most frequent questions regarding the best handheld mini belt sanders:
What do you use a mini belt sander for?
Handheld mini belt sanders are tools for a wide variety of applications such as:
- Sanding rough surfaces
- and leveling surfaces
Thus, I believe them to be an essential tool in any handyman’s toolbox.
Is a belt sander worth the money?
Even though these tools aren’t the most expensive ones in a toolbox (they range between 35 and 80 dollars), some people may ask: why would I spend money on them?
I believe handheld mini belt sanders are worth it because they combine two features that I deem essential for any handyman: sanding power and versatility.
As handymen, we aren’t working on the same thing every day, we do a wide variety of tasks. A handheld mini belt sander lets you sand, grind, trim and level a wide variety of surfaces going from metal to wood. It saves the handyman a lot of work and it’s not that expensive, therefore, I believe it’s recommended.