Last Updated on March 2, 2021 by John Smith
Drilling on concrete is hard, really hard. I mean, it’s one of the toughest surfaces you could ever drill on. Unfortunately, most cordless hammer drills available for sale present many issues when it comes to drilling on these surfaces, such as:
- Week motors that don’t output the drilling power necessary to drill on concrete
- Bulky materials that make the drills heavy and inflexible to use in tight spaces
- Low-quality components that break the tool in less than a year of purchase
- Unreliable batteries that don’t provide the runtime one needs to drill on concrete
The good news for you is that I took the time to research and test various cordless hammer drills to find those that performed the best when drilling on concrete.
Top 5 Best Cordless Hammer Drills for Concrete
These are the best cordless hammer drills I found to have the necessary power, convenience, and durability features to perform best when used on concrete:
- 1) DEWALT DCD985B 20-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion Cordless Hammer Drills for Concrete
- 2) Milwaukee 2607-20 M18 Cordless Hammer Drills for Concrete
- 3) Makita XPH10Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Hammer Drills for Concrete
- 4) DEWALT DCD996B Bare Tool 20V MAX XR Lithium-Ion Cordless Hammer Drills for Concrete
- 5) Makita XPH07Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Hammer Drill for Concrete
1) DEWALT DCD985B 20-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion Cordless Hammer Drills for Concrete
This machine comes with a high-performance motor that outputs up to 300 inches/pounds of torque. This feature coupled with its 3-speed all-metal transmission is enough to offer the power needed to drill on concrete.
Moreover, this drill has a lithium-ion battery responsible for its long runtime and increased durability which is a convenient feature for workers that hate having to repeatedly charge their tools multiple times in the day.
Besides, it has a built-in switch that prevents overloading or overheating which is very useful for drilling on concrete as this task will definitely put extra pressure on the motor.
In terms of convenience, this tool has attributes such as its:
- LED light for illuminating when drilling on dark areas
- Ergonomic design that feels great when holding the drill
which are added to the structure of the tool to make sure the drilling experience is critically improved.
- Lithium-Ion batteries offer longer tool run-time and durability
- 3-speed, all-metal transmission matches the tool to task for fastest application speed
- High power, high-efficiency motor delivers 535 unit watts out of max power
- Heavy-duty 1/2″ metal ratcheting chuck with carbide inserts
- LED light with 20-second delay after trigger release
Customer Reviews and Scores
There are more than 84 reviews on Amazon.com about this product at the time of writing and they have given them a 4.3 out of 5 rating on average. The reviews are positive overall.
2) Milwaukee 2607-20 M18 Cordless Hammer Drills for Concrete
We all know the higher the torque a hammer drill outputs the more drilling power it has. We also know that, on average, a cordless drill should offer up to 1500 rotations per minute to drill through concrete without issues.
On that account, this Milwaukee drill offers up to 500 inches-lbs of torque and between 0-400 and 0-1800 RPMs. Of course, this level of power is high enough to allow me to achieve a powerful drilling experience while drilling on concrete.
Moreover, this drill feels strong, light, and well-built thanks to its compact design and lightweight structure which allowed me to drill it for long hours on concrete during the testing period.
In terms of convenience, its led light made the experience of drilling on concrete in dark areas a piece of cake
Additionally, it’s built with a robust design involving a rare combination of earth magnets that makes it more durable than its counterparts. The greatness of its durability was also evidenced in the redlink intelligence feature which prevented me from overloading the drill.
- Milwaukee 4-Pole Frameless Motor offers 500 in-lbs of torque and 0-400/0-1,800 RPMs
- LED Light to illuminate in dark areas
- Chuck Type -> 1/2″ Metal Single Sleeve – Ratcheting Lock
- Compact Design
- All-Metal Gear Case and Chuck
- REDLINK Intelligence with advanced overload protection
Customer Reviews and Scores
There are more than 99 reviews on Amazon.com about this product at the time of writing and they have given them a 4.3 out of 5 rating on average. The reviews are positive overall.
3) Makita XPH10Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Hammer Drills for Concrete
In terms of power, this Makita cordless hammer drill is built with a four-pole mortar that delivers 480 in. Lbs of max torque which is enough to drill through concrete as if it was a piece of cake.
The tool has a 2-speed motor that ranges between 0-600 and 0-1900 RPM which is ideal for covering a wide range of drilling activities that go from fastening screws to drilling on concrete.
Moreover, this hammer drill came with a rubberized soft grip that reduced the friction and discomfort I suffer when drilling with other similar tools.
On top of that, it came with handy controls that prevented overheating, overloading, and discharging the drill without me knowing which is something I really hate, especially when it’s in the middle of drilling.
Finally, what really surprised me about this Markita cordless hammer drill are two main features:
- A lithium-ion battery with a rapid charger that offered the ability to reach full-charge in only 30 minutes
- An advanced protection technology that resisted dust and water which enabled me to do drill without worrying about keeping the tool safe
- Makita-built 4-pole motor delivers 480 in. lbs. of Max Torque
- 2-speed design (0-600 & 0-1,900 RPM) covers a wide range of drilling, driving, and hammer applications
- Built-in dual L.E.D. lights
- All-metal gear construction for durability
- Weighs only 3.4 lbs
- Features an Extreme Protection Technology which is engineered to provide increased dust and water resistance
- Rubberized soft grip
- Equipped with Star Protection Computer Controls™ to protect against overloading, over-discharging, and over-heating
- Rapid Optimum Charger communicates with the battery’s built-in chip throughout the charging process to optimize battery life and boost charging speed
Customer Reviews and Scores
There are more than 103 reviews on Amazon.com about this product at the time of writing and they have given them a 4.7 out of 5 rating on average. The reviews are positive overall.
4) DEWALT DCD996B Bare Tool 20V MAX XR Lithium-Ion Cordless Hammer Drills for Concrete
This Dewalt drill comes with a ratcheting metal chuck with nitro-carbonization and carbide inserts that provides bit gripping tenacity which is essential for drilling on concrete.
On top of that, it comes with features that attest to its power such as:
- a 3-speed super high-performance motor that maximizes the tool’s adaptability to any drilling application
- a super-efficient brushless motor that outputs up to 57 percent higher runtime and 820 units watts out (UWO) of maximum power
For a better working experience, this tool comes with a 3-mode LED light which helps drill in tight and dark spaces where natural light isn’t available.
Moreover, this tool’s XR-Li-ion battery has a fuel gauge that provides up to 33 percent more capacity than the standard packs which leads to longer battery autonomy, thus, more convenience.
- High-efficiency brushless motor
- XR Li-Ion batteries with fuel gauge provide 33% more capacity over standard packs
- 11 Clutch Settings
- 820 UWO of max power
- Heavy-duty 1/2″ ratcheting nitro-carburized metal chuck with carbide inserts for superior bit gripping strength
- 3-Mode LED provides lighting in dark or confined spaces
- LED Spotlight Mode features 20-minute shutoff function
- 3 Setting speeds: 0-450 / 0-1,300 / 0-2,000 RPM for different drilling applications
Customer Reviews and Scores
There are more than 76 reviews on Amazon.com about this product at the time of writing and they have given them a 4.4 out of 5 rating on average. The reviews are positive overall.
5) Makita XPH07Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Hammer Drill for Concrete
Spending serious money on a cordless hammer drill that isn’t powerful enough to drill on concrete is the worst. Believe me.
Luckily, this Markita XPH07Z hammer drill guaranteed concrete drilling thanks to features such as its:
- Brushless motor that delivers up to 1,090 in. lbs. of maximum torque, which is more than enough to drill on concrete
- A 2-speed transmission between 0-550 & 0-2,100 RPMs lets you adapt the drilling speed to different applications, not only drilling on concrete
- A 1/2″ self ratcheting chuck offers superior bit stability which is a great attribute to take advantage of, especially when drilling on concrete
I despise not seeing well where I’m drilling which happens a lot when working on closed areas. This is why I really liked the LED light added to this tool came with as it illuminated the area I was drilling on perfectly.
- Brushless Motor delivers up to 1,090 in. lbs. of maximum torque
- 1/2 inch self ratcheting chuck for improved bit gripping
- Ergonomic design at only 8-1/8″ long and weight of 5.9 lbs.
- 3-stage L.E.D. gauge that indicates battery charge status
- 2-speed transmission between 0-550 & 0-2,100 RPMs
Customer Reviews and Scores
There are more than 524 reviews on Amazon.com about this product at the time of writing and they have given them a 4.7 out of 5 rating on average. The reviews are positive overall.
The Best Cordless Hammer Drill For Concrete For Me Is…
Milwaukee 2607-20 Cordless Hammer Drill
Quick Comparison Table
How Did I Test The Best Cordless Hammer Drills For Concrete
The task of picking the best cordless hammer drills for concrete was a difficult one. I carried out drilling tests on both light masonry and concrete surfaces to analyze how powerful each tool was.
Being a bit more specific I made sure to use 3/16 inch screws and do the drilling with a firm hand while maintaining a steady pressure on the surface.
Those drills that presented no issues on repeated occasions and were comfortable to use were selected to be reviewed in this article.
3 Must-Have Features For The Best Cordless Hammer Drills
Good Quality Components
If you want to avoid seeing your cordless hammer drill get destroyed after only a few months of use then you better choose one that’s manufactured with good quality components.
With “quality components” I’m referring to features such as:
- Lithium battery
- Brushless motor
- Metal case
- Manufactured by a recognized brand
These attributes will guarantee that your next cordless drill is going to last for at least a few years.
Comfort and Ergonomics
It goes without saying that comfort is a big priority for any tool. Especially for a drill that’s gonna be used for drilling on concrete.
To cause less stress and strain on your hands, you should consider getting a drill that is lightweight, well balanced, and soft at the touch.
Why? Well, when the drill is light and well-balanced, it makes it easier to drill on a hard surface like concrete, which is essential of course.
Power and Torque
Over the years, cordless drills have evolved in terms of their power and torque. These new drills provide higher current outputs (18V and above) and have powerful motors that provide a drilling power to drill on concrete surfaces without issues.
Thus, getting a cordless hammer drill with a brushless motor might be your best bet as this type of technology doesn’t only output a considerable max torque but also is really durable, which means that the tool is gonna pay for itself.
Pro Tip: Work on Your Drilling Technique
You’ll need more than torque and power to successfully drill on concrete.
The consistency, steadiness, and position of your hands must be very precise. Otherwise, you could be putting at risk the whole process and in one second everything could go to hell and you could end up injured in the worst-case scenario.
That’s why when drilling on a surface as hard as concrete, one must take into consideration the position of your whole body AND your hands to have complete confidence that you’re doing things correctly.